We Have Gone Green
Save The Planet For Our Children
We are advocating the 3 Rs of environmental protection - Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
The first step to reducing your impact on the environment, is reducing the amounts of resources you consume and use. Think twice before you buy or use anything. Do you really need it? By reducing your consumption you will also decrease the amount of waste you produce.
There are many other ways to reduce your waste. The opportunities are nearly endless. Here are just a few ideas:
- Print and photocopy as little as possible.
- Edit on screen, not on paper.
- Use e-mail to minimize paper use.
- Send and store documents, electronically, instead of on paper.
- When you must print or copy, do it double-sided.
- Circulate documents rather than making individual copies.
- Change the margins on Word documents. Changing default settings of 1.25", on all sides, to 0.75" will save about 5% paper.
...YOUR ENERGY CONSUMPTION
There are so many ways of optmizing energy consumption:
- Turn off un-needed lights.
- Use natural lighting instead of electric lighting.
- Use fluorescent bulbs in desk lamps.
- Dress appropriate to the season.
- Select cold water for washing clothes.
- Keep windows and doors closed in heated and air-conditioned areas.
- Turn off computers when not in use.
- Turn of printers, especially lazer, when not in use.
- Don't use power strips to turn on computers and desk equipment, at once.
- When buying computer equipment, look for low-wattage, energy efficient equipment.
- Minimize use of screen savers, instead enable power mangement features.
- Leave space between refrigirator and wall. Increased air circullation allows frig to operate more efficiently.
...YOUR GAS CONSUMPTION AND POLLUTION
When using your car:
- Drive fuel-efficient, where possible.
- Don't drive more than necessary.
- Walking is more fuel-efficient and good for your health.
- Park car in the shade to avoid fuel evaporation.
Here are some ideas, if being creative is not your thing:
- Use plastic containers for food storage.
- Paper can become wrapping paper.
- Re-use envelopes by placing new labels over old addresses.
- Use box for scrap paper, which can be used for printing drafts.
- Re-use plastic bags or get re-usable canvas bags.
When buying any type of product, see if it's available with recycled content:
- Wrap presents in gift bags. Wrapping paper ends up in recycle bins, while bags are re-usable.
- Production of recycled paper uses only 1/2 the water and 3/4 of the energy of new paper.
- Every ton of recycled paper saves 1,600 litters of oil and 17 trees.
- It takes 75,000 trees to print the Sunday edition of The New York Times.
- If you recycle aluminum cans, the energy used and air pollution created, is 95% than cans produced from raw materials.
- You can operate a TV set for 3 hours with the energy saved by recycling just one aluminum can.
Thinking green means being aware of our world and reflecting on the unintended damage we cause nature in the course of our daily lives.
Thinking green leads to acting green by taking corrective action to make environmental responsibility, a reality.
You Can Also GO GREEN... Do It For The CHILDREN!
Bionic Hill: Ukraine's 'Silicon Valley'
Kiev, Ukraine - Your Ultimate Travel Destination
Kiev Becomes Eastern Europe's New Global Celebrity Hotspot
No More Immigration Cards
Smile and the World Smiles with You!
From Bond Girl to Chornobyl Heroine
Victory VE-Day (Video)
Debate In Ukraine Turns Ugly (Video)
We Have Gone Green
Golden Domes of Kiev I
Top Ten Kiev Attractions